Updated: September 15th, 2022
We limit the collection of personal information to information which is reasonably required to fulfill the purposes for which it is collected. Please do not provide us with the personal information of third party individuals in the course of your use of the Applications, without obtaining their express consent for such a disclosure.
1. Who We Are
Maya Heat Transfer Technologies Ltd. is part of a group of affiliated companies, which also includes Maya Simulation Technologies Ltd. and Maya HTT UK Ltd (the “Maya Group”).
b. Contact details
Full name of legal entity: Maya Heat Transfer Technologies Ltd.
Email address: [email protected]
Postal address: 1100 Atwater Avenue, Suite 3000, Westmount, QC, H3Z 2Y4
Telephone number: 1 (800) 343-6292 from the U.S. and Canada, or 1 (514) 369-5706 if calling from elsewhere in the world.
For the purposes of data protection laws in the UK or the EEA, you have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
d. Third-party Links
2. When and How We Collect Personal Information
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
a. Direct interactions
- Visits to our Website;
- Subscription to our newsletters;
- Contacts with us with a question, comment or complaint;
- Interaction with us on social media;
- Participation in one of our webinars or other type of event;
- Purchase of Maya products and/or services;
- Requests for technical support through our ticketing system;
- Communications with sales representatives; or
- Interactions related to an employment opportunity with us.
b. Automated Technologies or Interactions
c. Third party Sources
We may obtain information about you from other sources, including service providers and business partners (such as our channel partners (resellers), business contact databases and enrichment service providers), and combine such information with information we have collected about you.
3. Type of Personal information We Collect
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store, transfer or otherwise process different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
Contact Data includes name, company name, e-mail address, title, phone number, business address, biling and transactional information and contact preferences;
Personal Data includes date of birth, gender and photo;
Social Media Data includes information associated with your social media account and related profile, such as name, username, e-mail address, profile picture, date of birth and gender;
Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us, including details about events organized by Maya and that you have attended;
Customer Service Data includes information about technical issues, comments, suggestions or feedback you provide;
Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, clickstream and other related information such as the websites you visited immediately before and immediately after visiting our Website, page requests, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, Internet service provider you use and other technology on the devices you use to access this Website;
Usage Data includes the number of visits to our Website, and the date and average time spent on our Website, in addition to information about how you otherwise use our products and services;
Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences;
Employment Information includes information contained in your CV and other personal information that you voluntarily provide to use in relation to an employment opportunity.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Information about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
Failure to Provide Personal Information
Where we need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
4. How We Use Personal Information
We limit the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably required to fulfill the purposes for which it is collected. Most commonly, we will use your personal information in the circumstances described below.
- With your consent: for example, we may seek your consent before sending marketing communications to you if required by law. We may also use personal information that you voluntarily provide to us in relation to an employment opportunity.
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you: performance of contract means processing your personal information where it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or to take steps at your request before entering into such a contract.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests: legitimate interest means the interest of our business in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service/product. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal information for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). You can obtain further information about how we assess our legitimate interests against any potential impact on you in respect of specific activities by contacting our Privacy Officer.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation: complying with a legal obligation means processing your personal information where it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation that we are subject to.
Purposes for Which We Use Personal Information
We have set out below, in a table format, a description of all the ways we plan to use your personal information, and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate.
Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact our Privacy Officer if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your personal data where more than one ground has been set out in the table below.
Type of data
|Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest|
|Newsletter and Other Electronic Communications||If you subscribe to our newsletter or other electronic communications using the designated subscription form on the Website, we ask you for your email address. We may ask your consent to send you our newsletter and other electronic communications when you fill in forms on our Website that request personal information or in other contexts where you provide personal contact information through the use of our Applications.||
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them and grow our business)
|Customer Service.||If you contact us with a comment, question or feedback through one of our electronic forms, through email or via telephone, we collect your name, email address, company name, telephone number and the comments, suggestions or feedback you provide.||
(a) Performance of a contract with you
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them and grow our business)
|Social Media||If you engage with us on or through third-party social networking websites, plug-ins or applications, you may allow us to have access to certain information associated with your social media account (e.g. name, username, email address, profile picture, date of birth, gender).||(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep our records updated and to study how customers use our products/services)|
|When you visit our Website, we collect your IP (Internet Protocol) address and clickstream and other related information such as the websites you visit immediately before and immediately after visiting our Website, page requests, browser type, operating system, the Internet service provider you use, the number of visits to our Website, and the date and average time spent on our Website.||
(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganization or group restructuring exercise)
(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
|Maya Events||If you participate in a webinar or any other event organized by Maya, we may collect your name, email address, company name, title, address, telephone number, gender, date of birth, IP (Internet Protocol) address and event attendance details.||
(a) Performance of a contract with you
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
|Maya Products and Services.||If you purchase Maya products and/or services we collect your name, company name, title, phone number, business address, date of birth, billing and transactional information, user IDs and passwords and contact preferences.||
(a) Performance of a contract with you
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to recover debts due to us)
|Technical Support.||If you request technical support through our ticketing system, we collect your name, company name, title, photo (which may be included in your e-mail), phone number and business address.||(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud)|
|Third Party Information.||We may obtain information about you from other sources, including service providers and business partners (such as our channel partners (resellers), business contact databases and enrichment service providers), and combine such information with information we have collected about you.||(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our products/services and grow our business)|
|Employment Opportunities||We may obtain information that you voluntarily provide to us in connection with an employment opportunity at Maya (such as information regarding your educational background and professional experience).||
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to process your application and contact you with respect to future opportunities)
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages by using the link provided in every message or by contacting our Privacy Officer.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, we may nonetheless continue sending you messages as allowed by law, including in relation to a product/service purchase and warranty coverage.
5. Disclosure of Personal Information
We may share personal information about you with third parties in the following circumstances:
Business partners. We may provide your information to our channel partners, such as distributors and resellers, to fulfill product, service and information requests, to effectively deliver unified support, and to provide customers and prospective customers with information about Maya and its products and services.
From time to time, Maya may engage in joint sales or product promotions with selected business partners. If you purchase or specifically express interest in a jointly-offered product, promotion or service, we may share relevant personal information with those partners.
Please be aware that Maya does not control our business partners’ use of such information. Our partners are responsible for managing their own use of the personal information collected in these circumstances. We recommend you review the privacy policies of the relevant partner to find out more about their handling of your personal information.
Business transfers. In the event that we sell all or part of our business or make a sale or transfer of assets or are otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, we may transfer your personal information to a third party as part of that transaction.
Compliance with Law. Maya and its third-party service providers may disclose your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or as otherwise required by applicable law. We may also disclose personal information where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, as otherwise permitted by law.
6. Cookies and Other Technologies
Our Website may also use a technology called “tracer tags” or “Web Beacons”. This technology allows us to understand which pages you visit on our Website. These tracer tags are used to help us optimize and tailor our Website for you and other future visitors to our Website.
7. Protecting Your Personal Information
Maya protects your personal information by using administrative, technical and physical safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information. We use physically secure facilities, industry standard security tools and practices, and clearly defined internal policies and practices. Security measures are in place with the objective to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the personal information under our control. Personal information is stored in secure environments that are not available to the public (e.g., restricted access premises, locked rooms and filing cabinets) and access to personal information is limited to only employees, contractors and agents necessary to fulfill Maya’s obligations for the use of the Website and the Applications. To prevent unauthorized electronic access to the personal information, any information that is stored in electronic form is protected in a secure electronic and physical environment.
When protection measures are customarily applied to sensitive personal information transferred through the Internet, Maya uses encryption or similar technology to protect the content of the personal information transferred.
8. Retention of Your Personal Information
Maya will retain your personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and will delete or destroy same once those purposes have been achieved and the personal information is no longer necessary. Maya will also destroy your personal information when a request is filed for this purpose, or compliant with your legal right to withdraw your consent and/or request erasure.
9. International Transfer of Personal Information
As Maya is headquartered in Canada, your personal information will be accessible from that location. The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, or stored at, a destination outside Canada including the United Kingdom and the EEA. It may also be processed by staff operating outside Canada, the United Kingdom or the EEA who work for us or for one of our partners. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that any personal information transferred outside Canada, the United Kingdom or the EEA is treated securely and in accordance with data protection laws applicable in the jurisdiction in which the information is processed or stored. These laws may not provide the same level of protection as privacy laws in Canada, the United Kingdom or the EEA.
10. Your Legal Rights
In relation to your personal information, you have the rights detailed below.
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”): this enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction or update of the personal information that we hold about you: this enables you to have any incomplete, inaccurate or outdated data we hold about you corrected or updated, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your personal information: this enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal information to comply with applicable law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Object to processing of your personal information: where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal information: this enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal information in the following scenarios:
- If you want us to establish the data’s accuracy;
- Where our use of the personal information is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it;
- Where you need us to hold the personal information even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
- You have objected to our use of your personal information, but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to you or to a third party: we will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal information in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal information: however, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you, and this may prevent us from responding to inquiries, providing technical support or otherwise assist you in connection with the use of our products and services. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact our Privacy Officer
No Fee Usually Required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights).
What We May Need From You
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time limit to respond
We will respond to all legitimate requests within the timelines prescribed by applicable law and, if no such timeline exists, within thirty (30) days of your request.